Saturday, August 26, 2006

Why Polymath

If you were wondering how I came up with the name Polymath, wonder no more. I had discovered a friend's blog and, being a cryptic smartass, I wanted to leave a comment which could be attributed to me only through careful deduction. I needed a name that would describe me without being obvious.

I began by looking up several names from Chaucer's Canterbury Tales such as "miller," "reeve," "franklin," "yeoman," etc. I could not find anything fitting; "franklin" was close but not descriptive enough. And I did not want to be confused with a character from Peanuts.

I thought of all the things I had done in my life. I have had many different occupations, blue collar and white collar, encompassing all manner of work (and hours!). I have often been called McGuyver because of my ability to improvise a solution to a particular problem. McGuyver was descriptive enough, but kinda corny. Out of curiosity, I looked up Jack of All Trades in Wikipedia. As luck would have it, included in their description was a brief mention of a Bruce Campbell series of the same name. Fantastic! But not cerebral enough.

At the bottom of the page was a line reading "see also Polymath ." Cerebral, descriptive, and a slight Bruce Campbell reference. Gold!

I guess I was too clever. I had to tell my friend it was me.

No comments: