Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day, Part II



USAA, an independent organization which provides insurance and banking services for military personnel (active, retired, or honorably discharged), sent me a postcard thanking me for my military service. I was surprised to receive the card, but it was a very nice gesture on their part.
I was struck by the appearance of the men in the photograph. They all are so thin. I know being in the military is a great way to keep in shape, and being in the field definitely removes a few pounds. But the hardships endured by these men, and men like them serving today, cannot be imagined by anyone who has not been there.
To all who came before, and to all who serve now, I am proud to have stood in your company. Thank you, and may God bless you always.

No comments: