Monday, October 01, 2007

Global Warming, Part V: Dingell: Berry?

Representative Jonh Dingell, D-MI, has recently proposed a tax on gasoline at $0.50 per gallon, and a tax on "carbon" at $50 per ton. The current federal tax is $0.42 per gallon.



The U.S. Secretary of Transportation stated in April that only 60% of the federal gas tax is used for highway and bridge construction. The remaining 40% is used in non-transportation projects. The U.S. consumed about 137 billion gallons of gasoline in 2006. Raising the tax to $0.92 per gallon will result in about $0.38 per gallon, or $52,060,000,000 using the 2006 figure, being withheld from highway and bridge construction use. Wasted, in other words.



Tax-and-spend liberalism. The leftists would have us believe that imposing a punitive tax would make the gasoline so expensive that people would be forced to drive less, thereby reducing our so-called "carbon footprint." A spokesman from Greenpeace, commenting on Dingell's proposed law, stated that "we need to use the tax code to solve climate change."



I found this scary, not because he supported using the tax code to punish people unnecessarily. I expect all liberals to make such statements. What concerned me was his use of the term "climate change" instead of "global warming." This gives the enviro-fascist hippies an escape pod from their doomed Global Warming Galactic Cruiser. Regardless of the truthfulness of their current claim, by calling their contrived man-made climatic catastrophe "climate change" they can continue to throw money down the toilet in the name of the environment.

No comments: