Thursday, February 28, 2008

The Fence to Nowhere


Michelle Malkin has a story about the abandonment of the experimental "virtual fence" in Arizona.

What is wrong with a real fence? I understand that there are border areas where no fence, virtual or otherwise, exists.

I stretched a 300 foot section of fence on my property a while back, and it took only the better part of one day. This includes laying out and setting posts (not to mention coffee, water, beer, and lunch breaks).

I propose we send a bunch of country boys to the border to get the job done. I would even volunteer to supply the materials for my section (available at any Lowe's or Home Depot). Since the border is 1,969 miles long, it would take 34,364 men working for ONE DAY ONLY to erect a real fence across the ENTIRE border. Granted, this fence would not be nearly as sophisticated as the high-speed virtual fence, but at least it would be a fence (my estimate on the number of men needed is definitely overestimated, as there are a few miles which are fenced).

2 comments:

Mark Tueting said...

I'm coming over tonight and seeing if I can cross your fenceline.

We'll see how well the woven wire works to keep out an obnoxious friend. One suspects that it would work even less if the person climbing it is trying to make a better life for their family.

P.S. Please don't shoot me.

Polymath said...

I will hold my fire if I see you are carrying beer.

I am under no illusion that any fence may be breached or bypassed with enough determination. It just pisses me off that we have an inadequate fence in some areas, and NO fence in others.

Of course, the only truly effective method of preventing unauthorized boder crossing is shoot-to-kill. Yes, the DDR, Soviets, et al tried such a policy with limited success. But they were trying to keep people in, not out.