Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Corned Beef

As some readers of this blog are aware, I am a big fan of charcuterie. I enjoy cured and preserved meats so much that I have a home-made salt cured ham hanging in my closet. But that is a different story.

Even though it is not necessarily Irish, St. Patrick's day makes most Americans think of Corned Beef with Cabbage. This year, I will be corning my own beef to be used in said meal.

  • 1 gallon water
  • 2 c. kosher salt
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1 oz. pink salt (sodium nitrite)
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 T. pickling spice
  • one 5 # brisket

Combine everything but the brisket. Simmer in a large pot. Stir to dissolve salt/sugar. Cool the brine, add the brisket, and soak for 5 days. Remove brisket and rinse with cold water. Proceed with cooking.

I usually simmer the corned beef in beer (Harp, of course) and pickling spice until it is approaching tender. Then I add carrots, potatoes, onions, and cabbage. Simmer until beef and vegetables are very tender. Serve with a Guinness (or more Harp) and soda bread. The leftover beef can be made into Red Flannel Hash for breakfast. Top o' the mornin.'

1 comment:

The Maximum Leader said...

I'd like the story on the ham...